Named after the German poet Justinus Kerner, this varietal is a hybrid of Trollinger and Riesling. Alto Adige’s Kerner produces sleek, aromatic, spicy wines with a slight hint of nutmeg and refined fruitiness. It is planted primarily at higher elevations of the Isarco Valley and the Val Venosta, where it thrives thanks to its resistance to frost.
- Area under cultivation: 146 acres (1.14% of total)
- Cultivation zone: Isarco Valley and Val Venosta
- Growing method: Pergola and Guyot trellises
- Preferred location: High elevations, gravel soils
- Synonyms: None
- Recommended pairings: Grilled fish, vegetable terrines, appetizers