- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 3 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine from Alto Adige region, such as Pinot Grigio or Pinot Bianco
- 1 cup diced speck from Alto Adige region
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
Heat vegetable broth to a boil in small saucepan; reduce heat to low; keep simmering. Meanwhile, in 12-inch heavy skillet, over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly just until rice looks chalky and you can see a white dot in center of each grain. Slowly add white wine, stirring constantly. Continue to stir, allowing the rice to simmer, stirring well until wine has been absorbed. Add hot broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly, until completely absorbed. Continue adding broth until rice is just tender, about 18 to 20 minutes. It should be tender, but firm to the bite. Remove from heat.
Stir in cooked leeks, speck, grated Parmesan, remaining tablespoon butter and ½ cup broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Wine pairing recommendations: Gewürztraminer, Kerner, or Pinot Nero